Wednesday, September 26, 2007

What the fish

Is it better to be a big fish in a small pond or a big fish in a big pond ? Being in a smaller pond means that you are almost on top of the food chain compared to in a big pond where you have to fight for your survival and risk being eaten alive !??!!?

From my previous post here work has gotten even more confusing. The future direction of the company is still unclear and with my team being split up it leaves even more room for doubt and uncertainties. Even if I were to be transfered doesn't mean everything is hunky dory. Being in my current position in the current organisation means that I was a big fish in a small pond and my opinion and say mattered and I made a difference in my actions and was given the freedom to handle my work and task as seen fit and as long as deadlines were met my boss was cool with it.

Now by being transfered back to the "mothership" it has left me rather worried. First and foremost the team will be reduced in size by half and that does not only means more work but also means that it leaves little or no time for improvement or innovation. Also the amount of freedom will definitely be reduced significantly as the "eagles" and "hawks" will be watching and hovering above to catch even the slightest misconduct. Though it does mean a better job security but that also is a big question mark as the future of the project I'm working on at the moment is rather questionable. Seeing how the "new organisation" is a non profit one and every decision and purchase will be under scrutiny by the "big boys" and everything has to be justified. Heck even upgrading from the hard drive for the new pc which costs an extra few dollars for an extra 10-20GB was met with huge resistance.

On a brighter note the new office seems to have attracted a lot of attention especially from people in the mothership and some have even express desire to come and sit in our new office. How funny would that be working in a more "corporate" environment where backstabbing and lying and cheating are a common thing. Gone is the spirit of "togetherness" that made me stay in this current organisation for such a long time. 2008 indeed promises to be a very interesting year.

How I wish I could just stand up and walk away and never look back but due to circumstances it's something that I can not do at the moment nor do I see myself doing something so drastic anytime soon. It's sad what a slave I have become. Here's hoping I get my priorities right before I become a zombie to the corporation and before I have lost my spirit and will along with numerous other things that happens when you turn into a corporate slave.

0 comments: