Friday, April 13, 2007

Musical Friday - Amy Winehouse

I've decided to try and introduce a new artists/album every week, time permitting of course. This is so that with the amount of artists and song available out there we somehow can share some that we like so we can expand our music selection and even if it's a genre that you don't usually listen to it's always good to keep an open mind to new experiences :D

I've been listening to this artist for a while now ever since I've seen a post about it here and decided to try listening to her to see if I like it.

Amy Winehouse - Back to Black



When I first saw this album and noticed that it has a parental guidance advice stating it has explicit content I thought Amy was some kind of new rap artist with profanity in every other sentence but the image potrayed on the cover suggested otherwise so I went ahead and got hold of the album.

  1. Rehab
  2. You Know I'm No Good
  3. Me & Mr Jones
  4. Just Friends
  5. Back to Black
  6. Love is a Losing Game
  7. Tears Dry on Their Own
  8. Wake up Alone
  9. Some Unholy War
  10. He Can Only Hold Her
  11. Addicted
As soon as I listened to the first song in the album I immediately felt myself being brought back into the 60's and 70's.

They tryyyyy to make me go to rehab .. No No No

Somehow in my mind I could picture her singing it in black and white and behind her her backup dancers all dressed in their flower power dresses with a big hair band across their hair and doing their 60's dance moves. The track has a very upbeat tempo which is very catchy and yet it's about how the lady in the song is forced to go to rehab for a drinking problem.

The tracks are just simply awesome as she switches the beat and tempo and also the way she sings the songs. It's somehow so laid back yet carries weight in each word that she sings.

What kind of fuckery is this ?

Each track has it's own style and the musicians accompanying her is just superb. They add on to the ambience and bring character to her already awesome sounding voice. The first time I listened to the album I didn't really pay attention to the lyrics and just listened to her sing but as I kept on playing I kept on listening more to the lyrics and despite the upbeat tempo on some of the tracks the message trying to be conveyed by her is real.

I think this is one of the rare albums that I absolute love each and every song. Addicted is damn funny as well hahahaha you need to pay attention to the lyrics. I truly recommend her to those who want to try something new and are a bit tired of your normal everyday music.

Its got me addicted does more than any dick did

0 comments: